Monday, June 6, 2011

I DID IT!

For the past 3 1/2 months I have been training, along with my great friend, Megan, for the Dam to Dam 1/2 Marathon! It has been an interesting experience and one that I know I wouldn't have been able to accomplish without the support from my family and Megan.

There were a few reasons that I wanted to do this race.

1. I needed a motivator to exercise.

2. I just turned 30 in April, and thought that this would be the time to do it.

3. We are not having any more babies, so my body no longer needs to be elastic! :)

The race was just this past Saturday, June 4th, in Des Moines. I woke up at 4:00 a.m., left the house at about 4:40, arrived at Megan's a little after 5:00 and then her fiance, Brian, took us downtown to get on the bus that took us out to Saylorville Dam, where the start of the race was.

We both felt ready for the race, but even more ready for the whole thing to be over with! At about 8-9 miles into the race, it started getting harder. I have had a couple people tell me that this whole ordeal is 'fun.' I, unfortunately, saw or felt nothing 'fun' about the whole experience. However, I finished and I finished at our goal time! I feel that it was a great motivator for me to exercise, it was a great thing to do since I turned the big 3-0, and I'm still working on the whole getting my body toned thing! ;)

I now have ran a 1/2 marathon and I'm pretty sure that I will never do it again.

Getting up and down the stairs the past couple of days has been pretty painful!

But...I am proud of myself and proud that I actually did this and did it for myself!

I am thankful for my support system and for all the texts that I received on the day of the race! Thank you for thinking of me while I was running and running and running!

Behind this gal in the black tank top is me in the pink tank top. This is right before the finish line!!!
After the race. Brady brought me flowers and Tyler took some flowers to Megan! My wonderful support system! Without them, especially my wonderful hubby, Lee, this would not have been done.

And I KNOW that this couldn't have been done without Megan! In this picture is Brian, Megan, myself, and Lee. Thank you, Megan, for being the best running partner there is! Now we can really celebrate at this year's Big Country Bash!

Brady and I after the race.

Getting a kiss from my proud hubby!

Some more of my support system that came to cheer me on. Josh, Liz, Parker, and Tyler. Along with Josh and Liz, both my mom and my dad came to cheer me on. Thank you to my family for being there for me and believing in me! Love you all!

Here is my training schedule that is still posted on the refridgerator. It shows such a great accomplishment! That 3 1/2 months seemed like it was going to take forever, but now here I am, limping around my house, and it's already over!!!

2 comments:

The Petrie Family said...

Congrats Darcey! What a great accomplishment!

saras said...

That is AWESOME!!! Way to go!!!