Tuesday, January 3, 2017

DAM TO DAM 2016

June 4, 2016

I said I would never do this again.  But here I am, 5 years after I ran my first.  I finished my 2nd Dam to Dam 1/2 Marathon!  And it turns out I disliked this 13.1 miles just as much as I did the first time around.  But I did it, did it for myself, and I’m proud!

The weather was better this time around and I do feel like I may have even ran it faster than what I did 5 years ago.  I did all of my training and the actual race all by myself.  That takes some major dedication.  I am glad that I did it.  I could not have done all of the training without the support from Lee and the boys.  They showed me each day, and at the end of each Saturday morning’s long run, how proud they were of me.  Their pride kept me going.  I also want my boys to see how much exercise means to me and hope that they will always continue exercise in their lives.

Lee dropped me off at Merle Hay Mall at around 5:30 the morning of the race.  That meant I had to wake up at a little after 4:00 AM.  He came back home and drove in with Mom and the boys to head to the finish line.  I was able to call them when I had about a mile or two left to tell them that I was close to make sure they were at the finish line.

I LOVED to hear them cheering for me as I was making my way into the finish line!  With the extreme exhaustion and proud moment, their cheers brought tears to my eyes.  I was so happy they were there for me.   

I would love to say that I will never run a 1/2 marathon again.  However, I said that after my first one, and well, here’s my second.  Unfortunately, I have gotten very bad plantar fasciitis after this go around, so more than likely, I will not be doing another one.  And that is just fine by me!  :)  But, I am so glad that I can say that I have run two 1/2 marathons!

IMG_1847

Giving a thumbs up to my fans as I was making my way to the finish line.

IMG_1840

My top supporters and fans!

IMG_1842

I was so glad my mom was there again to watch me finish for my 2nd time.  She has always shown me the importance of exercise, as I hope I am doing for my own kids.

No comments: