Sunday, September 21, 2014

OUR KITCHEN REMODEL

When Lee and I bought this house in 2007, we knew that the kitchen would need some updating, but also knew that it would take us some time to get it all updated.  When we first moved in, the countertops were gray laminate with a bright blue strip around it.  The blue strip almost appeared like painting tape and like you should have been able to just peel it off!  We also had oak cupboards with gold hardware.

We kept that kitchen for 4 years.  Having babies and spending money on diapers, formula, etc., took priority and the kitchen had to wait.  In February of 2011 we decided to buy a countertop kit called Giani to paint our countertops.  We also put new hardware on the cupboards after the countertop update.  The countertops made a huge difference in the kitchen and we were much happier with our kitchen and where we spent most of our time.  The countertops lasted a good three years, but then we started to notice a lot of paint peeling off.

tyler and countertops

This is a picture of Tyler with our gray and blue stripe countertops.

DSC_0411

Then we painted our countertops and got new hardware for our cupboards.  So this is what it looked like right before we started to paint the cupboards.

We decided that since so much of our countertops were peeling off, we needed to look into new countertops.  We then decided that we didn’t want to put these awesome countertops on top of cupboards that we didn’t really like, so we decided to paint the cupboards before we got the countertops put in.

We went one day to pick out our countertops and sink.  We decided on granite countertops and a large granite sink.  I was very excited!

As soon as we got back from St. Charles for the 4th of July, I started to paint our cupboards white!  It was a huge project that seemed like it took an eternity!  I sanded all doors/trim, primed all doors/trim, sanded all doors/trim AGAIN, and then painted all doors/trim.  It was a huge job, but it was so worth it!

DSC_0604

Here’s what our kitchen looked like for a good couple of weeks, while our cupboard doors were out in the garage.

DSC_0745

Doors are hung!

DSC_0886

Hardware on the doors!

IMG_0997

We got the white bead board from Luke and Jessica.  They had it extra in their garage, and they were nice enough to give us their extra to put up around our cupboards in the kitchen.  I love it! 

The guys came to tear out our countertops on Wednesday, August 13.  Lee’s parents got into town that night! 

Thursday, August 14th our new countertops were put in!  It was my first day back to work and the boys had a party to go to, so Eula was at our house while they got installed.

We absolutely love how our kitchen turned out!  However, Lee and I are in a disagreement of just one thing.  Now that the cupboards are white, he likes the yellow paint better and I like it worse.  :)  

I just had to take some pictures tonight of the finished product.  I realized that I never had.  Like I said, they got installed when we had company.  And then that weekend we went to Adventureland and then had Brady’s birthday party at the house!  So, I was a bit busy to take pictures of just the countertops!  But, we are loving them!  And I love, love, love our new sink!

DSC_0391

Our finished kitchen!

DSC_0392

DSC_0393

One big, large sink!  Can fit any pot, pan, baking sheet!  Love it!

No comments: